Monday, June 1, 2015

Hiking trip reflection

Hiking Trip Reflection


                
              The hiking trip for me was a great learning experience and it was one of the best three days of my life. This hiking trip was my first time doing any type of camping; my family never did that kind of thing. I think i can speak on behalf of all my group in saying that we wished we could have stayed longer. On this trip I learned many things, like how to put up a tent which wasn't very hard. I learned to work with a group and work effectively with them, we learned to accept everyone’s ideas and thoughts and implement them into what we were doing. I also learned that purification droplets for water existed, at the start of the trip I wasn't totally sure how we were going to get water. Since it was my first time camping i learned a lot about the outdoors and how things worked. I wasn't totally clueless though because I've been going to cottages for my whole life so i still knew how to build a good fire and keep it going. The thing I enjoyed the most about the trip was the late night camp fires and eating smores with my friends. Secondly being at campsite 5 the second night and going up to the cliff at sundown was a beautiful sight. The part I liked the least was all the set up and take down you'd have to do every night. It's not like at home where you can just get out of bed and go. Having to put up and take down the tents and pack up your sleeping back and your back pack was never fun. Also the clean up after cooking our meals was always trouble because we had to get out the soap and the water and clean up all of our dishes. Other than that I really enjoyed the trip, a lot of people didn't like the hiking aspect of it but i found that they were never long hikes and was a fun time to chat with friends. If I had to do it again I would change up my meal plan and make some of the foods easier to cook. We also brought way to much macaroni which in the end we just had to burn so it was a waste. I'd also bring a really good knife next time, my knife wasn't as sharp as I'd like it to be. A good knife would be helpful when I was trying to widdle a marshmallow stick. Even though that doesn't seem like an important thing it would've saved me a half hour of work on that stick. I would do this trip again in a heartbeat, I chose outdoor ed next year because of how much i like this course and the opportunities it offers. This trip inspired me to organize a small over night camping trip with my friends. I'll be able to use the skills I learned on the outdoor ed trip to help me out when I go on to do it alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment